The Top 3 Things Every Author Should Do Before Writing a Book
by Kaylin McFarren
1) Pick a subject that’s not only interesting to you, but one that you feel passionate about. This passion will help sustain your interest and make it possible to excite others about your topic – whether through talks, workshops, podcasts, blogs, or articles.
2) Make plans before you begin writing. Put together a tentative outline and include a predicament or plot which will result in character growth. It will be essential to captivate your readers with the opening line of the first chapter. But also consider using this same technique with the first line of every chapter and ending them with as many hooks as possible to maintain your reader’s interest.
3) Schedule a regular writing time. Remember…if you can complete one page every day, you’ll have a book finished in a year. It’s all a matter of focus, commitment, and strategizing your priorities.
Linda Yoshida, aka Kaylin McFarren, is a rare bird indeed. Not a migratory sort, she prefers to hug the West Coast and keep family within visiting range. Although she has virtually been around the world, she was born in California, relocated with her family to Washington, and nested with her husband in Oregon. In addition to playing an active role in his business endeavors, she has been involved in all aspects of their three daughters’ lives – taxi duties, cheerleading coaching, script rehearsals, and relationship counseling, to name but a few. Now she enjoys spending undisciplined time with her two young grandsons and hopes to have many more.
Although Kaylin wasn’t born with a pen in hand like so many of her talented fellow authors, she has been actively involved in both business and personal writing projects for many years. As the director of a fine art gallery, she assisted in furthering the careers of numerous visual artists who under her guidance gained recognition through promotional opportunities and in national publications. Eager to spread her own creative wings, she has since steered her energy toward writing novels. As a result, she has earned more than a dozen literary awards and was a 2008 finalist in the prestigious RWA® Golden Heart contest.
Kaylin is a member of RWA, Rose City Romance Writers, and Willamette Writers. She received her AA in Literature at Highline Community College, which originally sparked her passion for writing. In her free time, she also enjoys giving back to the community through participation and support of various charitable and educational organizations in the Pacific Northwest.
Successful yet emotionally stifled artist Kate Flaherty stands at the deathbed of her estranged father, conflicted by his morphine-induced confession exposing his part in her mother’s death. While racing home, Kate’s car mishap leads her to a soul-searching discussion with a lone diner employee, prompting Kate to confront the true reasons her marriage hangs in the balance. When her night takes an unexpected turn, however, she flees for her life, a life desperate for faith that can only be found through her ability to forgive.
Flaherty’s Crossing by Kaylin McFarren is a beautiful story. The author does an incredible job of presenting the story in vivid detail. We are taken into the minds and hearts of the characters. As you read, you will feel the same anguish that they each felt in dealing with their own issues. In your heart, you will also feel their love and their hope for a better future. Even though it is a fictional story, it made me reflect on my own life, and how I shouldn’t wait until it is too late to let people that I love know how I feel, or to apologize if I need to. This is a novel that is written with exceptional quality. Readers will truly enjoy this story.”
- PAIGE LOVITT, Reader Views
“A skillfully wrought tale.”
- KIRKUS DISCOVERIES
“Flaherty’s Crossing is an inspirational story about learning to let go and love fully for the sake of love. Who are we under our masks of pain? How would it feel to have those burdens lifted?”
- TAMI BRADY Brady, TCM Reviews
“For anyone who has loved immensely and faced a painful loss, this book is a bridge to healing, forgiveness and an open heart.”
- REGINA ELLIS, Founder, CEO The Children’s Cancer Association
“McFarren’s writing is powerful and detail oriented, making the story come alive and creating a suspenseful atmosphere that sustains to the last page. A brilliant exploration of women’s fiction.”
- AUBRIE DIONNE, Author , SynergEbooks
“Beautifully written, heart wrenching yet inspirational, this is a ‘must read’ for anyone who has loved and lost.”
- ELIZABETH JOY ARNOLD, USA Today bestselling author of Pieces of My Sister’s Life
“Suspenseful, poignant and ultimately soul-satisfying, this life-affirming tale of shattering secrets will keep you on the edge of your seat. Don’t miss it!”
- JOY NASH, USA Today bestselling author of Deep Magic
“From heart wrenching to heartwarming, inducing laughter and tears, this virtual roller coaster of a tale won’t let the reader go until reaching the final turn of the ride. A superb novel bearing a message not easily forgotten.”
- ANGELA FOX, Publisher of Oregon City News/Clackamas Review