1. The fascination with unwed mothers in Hollywood.
2. New Orleans’ Road Home Program seems to be detouring. Hope it’s not via the Governor’s Mansion. . .
3. Voters in New Orleans re-electing William Jefferson even though the Feds had videotaped him taking $100,000 in alleged bribe money, and that $90,000 of it had been found inside a freezer in his apartment in the District. Five days after Katrina hit N.O., Jefferson (he says) asked the National Guard to take him past military blockades for a “neighborhood tour” (his neighborhood) that involved the vehicle pulling up to the steps of his home which he entered alone while the men waited outside for an hour. He emerged, according to sources, with a laptop, some small suitcases, and a box about the size of a small freezer. Hmmm. Cold cash? Go figure.
4. Tom and Katie, Brad and Angelina. Oh, did I mention that already?
5. Rosie O’Donnell on The View: “Just a minute,” she interrupted. Radical Christianity is just as threatening as radical Islam in a country like America where we have separation of church and state. And then to Kelly Ripa after she said something to Clay Aiken about covering her mouth with his hand: “Now listen, to me that was a homophobic remark. If that was a straight man, if that was a cute man, if that was a guy that she didn’t question his sexuality, she would have said a different thing,” O’Donnell said. And again about Donald Trump’s decision to not fire Miss USA: O’Donnell said: “(He) left the first wife – had an affair. (He) had kids both times, but he’s the moral compass for 20-year-olds in America. Donald, sit and spin, my friend.” And, last but clearly not least:”You know, you can imagine in China it’s like, ‘Ching-chong, ching-chong. Danny DeVito. Ching-chong, ching-chong-chong. Drunk. The View. Ching-chong.”
6. Still waiting to grow Julia Robert’s legs.
7. Not finishing my WIPs.
8. And some of those who died in 2006, mentioned below in no particular order. I pray that many of them are getting down while they’re living it up in heaven (and if you want some help with some of these names, check this site for brief bios and photos: Notable Deaths in 2006:
Rod Sterling, Caspar Weinberger, Helene Deschamps Adams, Ralph Ginzberg, Buck Owens, Mickey Spillane, Ann Richards, Mickey Hargitay, Bo Schembechler, Freddie Fender, Syd Barrett, Jack Palance, Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, Red Buttons, Oleg Cassini, June Allyson, Peter Boyle, Curt Gowdy, Bebe Moore Campbell, Scott Crossfield, Proof, Gene Pitney, Byron Nelson, Earl Woods, Darren McGavin, Robert Altman, Ken Lay, Jan Murray, Gerald Levert, Dennis Weaver, Lou Rawls, Maureen Stapleton, Aaron Spelling, Patsy Ramsey, Peter Benchley, Shelley Winters, Wilson Pickett, Betty Friedan, Coretta Scott King, Chris Penn, Ruth Brown, William Styron, Ed Bradley, Steve Irwin, Nellie Connelly, Vince Welnick, Bruno Kirby, Mike Dougles, Dana Reeve, Lillian Asplund, Floyd Patterson, Lew Anderson/Clarabell the Clown, Jack Wild.
COMING TOMORROW: 2007 NEW YEAR’S REVOLUTIONS